23 September 2012

The "Pharmer's" Mind in UNMC -- 5 --

Hello to everyone! I am Yan Ling, currently a full time “Pharmer” in UNMC. I am here to share with you guys some of my thoughts as a Pharmacy student.  The most frequently asked question that I my friends or relatives asked me was: “Is Pharmacy a difficult course?”
My answer is always the same, which is: “Yes, I would say it is challenging but I really enjoy doing my course.”
            Indeed, I always believe that every course has its own difficulty and challenges to overcome. Neither course is hard nor easy. When it comes to choosing a course to pursue in a university, what matters the most is our interest.  As long as we are passionate about what we study, we will fear no challenges that come in our way, my friends. Instead, we will feel a sense of satisfaction after we learn something new, and that is what I feel.  There was a time when our brains were overloaded with lots of new information in a short time.  Sometimes I felt a little bit confused even after the lecturers had finished the whole topic. However, I reckon that was pretty normal for an ordinary human being like me. I never give up and always keep the faith that I can overcome all the challenges.  As I believe that what doesn’t kill me makes me stronger by gearing me up for the upcoming harder challenges.
             I still remember vividly that after I finished my secondary school, I chose medicine when I applied for scholarship. However, after attending one-week exposure programme in a hospital, I realized that the working life as a doctor was not what I dreamt of. Thus, I surveyed about the job prospects as a pharmacist. A pharmacist can work in a wide range of fields, including hospital pharmacy, community pharmacy, industry pharmacy, pharmaceutics and education. We can work in a team with all the medical staffs in the hospital. For the innovative business lovers, working in a retail pharmacy would be a great choice. For the people who love to deal with chemicals, industry pharmacy would be the option. On top of that, a pharmacist can work in a research field and invent new drugs. Furthermore, a pharmacist can further the study to be a lecturer. Hence, as a pharmacist wannabe, we can have a myriad of choices as our working path in near future. Since I have a strong interest in biology and chemistry, and I am always keen to work in the healthcare field, therefore I have chosen pharmacy as my degree course and I have no regret for my choice.
Since a picture speaks a thousand words, let’s keep the word short and have a quick glance on why it is fun to be a pharmacy student!


Some of the interesting experiments on human eye. (Photos credit: Zi Qian Wong)

When the “Pharmers” were working hand in hand for a good cause. (Photo credit: Zi Qian Wong)

Hands on experience to conduct chemical experiment. (Photo credit: Vivian Ng)

First aid lesson. (Photo credit: Zi Qian Wong)

As a pharmacy student, we will have a lot of opportunities to work in a group. (Photo credit: Aqilah Tarmizi)

We are fortunate to have visiting lecturer from UK to deliver lecture on certain topics. (Photo credit: Dillon Goh)

Hospital visit.

Lastly, I would like to share a piece of quote with all of you.
“When you are about to give up, think about the reason why you held on for so long.”
People tend to give up when things get harder. Before doing that, please recall why you start all this in the first place. Be brave, overcome the difficulties and challenges. Not to forget, enjoy every single moment as a “Pharmer” and make the best out of each day in the university.
                                                                                                                                                                Tan Yan Ling

No comments:

Post a Comment